Education drives opportunity. For too long, our leaders have failed to provide adequate educational options for our citizens and also failed to support the strong programs that do exist. It’s time to give EVERYONE opportunity. The city should facilitate ongoing education and development no matter what age you are or where you are in life. That will be my number one goal – educating and training every citizen.
Over 50% of our adults are functionally illiterate, which means they struggle to read a bus route or utility bill. Without an educated adult population, there will be limited progress. If we’re able to educate and train these individuals, crime will decrease, jobs will increase, property values will rise and most importantly, our children and youth will have a greater chance of succeeding. Focusing on adult literacy and job training is essential.
Every problem Cleveland faces ties back to education. This MUST be part of our new mindset. Real progress is made when each individual Clevelander can sustain him/herself. I will be a champion for education.
- Fund & scale programs that are currently succeeding (Within CMSD, Seeds of Literacy, Towards Employment, Breakthrough Schools, etc.)
- Decrease wasteful spending and increase fiscal responsibility.
- Foster stronger relationships between the city, the private sector, local foundations, religious organizations, and other non-profits in order to better focus funding and energy in areas where we see the best results.
- Improve the city’s relationship with the state in order to negotiate more funding.
- Expedite changes & improvements needed in the CMSD.
- Provide free citywide WIFI for all residents.